UTGSU 2017 Elections and Referendum Results – Statement from the Elections and Referenda Committee
UTGSU Executive Election Results
The University of Toronto Graduate Students’ Union (UTGSU) congratulates the following individuals on their election to the 2017-2018 UTGSU Executive Committee as Commissioners:
Academics and Funding Commissioner, Divisions 1 and 2
Academics and Funding Commissioner, Divisions 3 and 4
Civics and Environment Commissioner
Leonardo Jose Uribe Castano
Finance and University Governance Commissioner
Brieanne Berry Crossfield
Part-Time Graduate Student Referendum Question Results
The UTGSU conducted voting to seek consent from its part-time members to to authorize the General Council to approve the annual inflationary increases for the Health Insurance Fee (currently $274.02). 157 votes were cast, 14 were abstentions.
The question was:
In order to maintain the supplementary health insurance plan for part-time graduate students beyond the coverage period of 01 September 2016 to 31 August 2017, do you authorize the General Council of the Graduate Students’ Union to approve an annual inflationary cost adjustment based on the supplementary health insurance industry index? The vote would require a 2/3 approval by the UTGSU General Council.
- Eleven polls were open at locations across the St. George campus, University of Toronto Mississauga (UTM), University of Toronto Scarborough (UTSC), and at the University of Toronto Institute for Aerospace Studies.
- Polls were open from 11:00 am – 5:00 pm on Monday February 27 and Tuesday February 28, 2017
- 183 graduate students cast votes for the UTGSU Executive Election through a paper ballot system
- 157 part-time graduate students cast votes for the Part-Time Health Insurance Referendum by voting online at voting.utoronto.ca and casting paper ballots.
Elections related material can be found at: https://www.utgsu.ca/elections/
Please direct all elections-related inquires to the Scott Surphlis, UTGSU Chief Returning Officer (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- CRO Report
- Elections 2017 Timeline
- Position Summaries
- Contact | Chief Returning Officer (CRO)
- General Information on UTGSU Elections
- Election and Referenda Code
Please click here for the 2016 CRO Report.
Elections 2017 Timeline*
Campaign Period Starts: Friday, February 10 at 7p.m.
*Please note: all dates are subject to change, with proper notice, at the discretion of the CRO.
Election and Referenda Code
You can find an electronic copy of the Election and Referenda Code here: Election and Referenda Code.
General Information on UTGSU Elections
The elections process pertains to the following subjects of action:
- Election of the Executive of the Union as due process of the bylaws and policies of the organization.
- Referenda submitted to the members of the electorate as due process of the bylaws of the organization.
Both elections and referenda are subject to the Elections Code which further details the conduct and operating guidelines governing the elections process. Should you have any questions or concerns regarding the content of our elections, or conduct during an election according to the bylaws, please contact the Chief Returning Officer at email@example.com