Tax Help

Filing your income tax can be stressful when you don’t know what to do, or even where to start. The UTGSU does not offer one-on-one tax help during incoming tax season. But, please take a look at some of the major services and resources, which are available to graduate students during this time.

Canadian Federation of Students (CFS) 

As a member of the Canadian Federation of Students, offers free access to Ufile for students to fill out their tax returns (look for “students file free”) and use the code CFS1981.

Cecil Community Centre

In the past, Cecil Community Centre (College/Spadina) has offered free income tax clinics for residents of Canada with income below $20,000 single/$30,000 family. If this becomes available in future, we will let you know. Their contact number is: 416-392-1090.

Centre for International Experience (CIE)

If you’re an International student, there are information sessions specifically offered to help you get more familiar with income taxes in Canada. Please see the information session dates here:

Community Volunteer Income Tax Program Clinic (Free)

For a list of appointments in Toronto sorted by located, and language, visit:

H & R Block Student Discount 

Students file for about 39.99 + filing fee. Please check out their website.

The Canada Revenue Agency

The Canada Revenue Agency also provides tax information for specially tailored for the needs of students:

As well, you may be able to get help at the CRA’s Community clinics for low-income individuals with simple tax returns:

The University of Toronto Students’ Union (UTSU) Backfiling

The UTSU can help you backfile your taxes from 2014, 2015, and 2016. You can book your online appointment on March 1 at: For more information, email UTSU at